Paula from Reading Lark's Reviews > Send Me a Sign

Send Me a Sign by Tiffany Schmidt

Sep 26, 12

Read from September 24 to 25, 2012

So far, I've been in full-out sob twice.
And I'm only 20% in.

Update: I just finished Send Me a Sign. It's a sobfest, girl-with-cancer book. Except that her neighbor boy bff is SO much like Adam Wilde in If I Stay, I couldn't put the damn thing down, trying to get to the page when they finally acknowledged that they were in love. I picked it up to sneak 10 minutes over coffee at 5 AM.

Review as seen on Reading Lark:
Send Me a Sign is a sobfest, girl-with-cancer book. But here's the thing: I wanted to roll my eyes at it, but it's hard to roll your eyes when they keep running across line after line of writing, and you can't find a good stopping place. Because with Send Me a Sign, the only good stopping place is the last page.
The main character, Mia, is gorgeous, popular, smart, and oblivious to just how perfect her life is- until it isn't perfect anymore. We get to watch the house of cards fall. It doesn't all collapse at once, though; it comes down in slow motion, one piece at a time. Once Mia is stripped of all the glory of her former self, she can finally see who she really is and what is really important.
There is a love triangle in this book, though it's not the kind that makes you want to throw the book across the room. And I'm not sure it even qualifies as a triangle, since Mia isn't aware of one boy's feelings for the majority of the book. These two boys really are equally wonderful, and neither stoops to worse than mild verbal attacks of the other. Another reason I couldn't put the book down is that the neighbor boy bff is SO much like Adam Wilde in If I Stay. I picked the book up to sneak 10 minutes over coffee at 5 AM because I was at a really good scene featuring him.
Contemporary isn't my favorite, but once in a while, it's nice to have an excuse and permission to ugly cry. A hot boy is a bonus. Send Me a Sign delivers both, with a side of girl friendship. It's the best kind of reading indulgence. I recommend to a girl who's up for a guilty pleasure- one that you wouldn't be embarrassed if your mom caught you reading it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Send Me a Sign.