Kemper's Reviews > Secret Avengers, Vol. 2: Eyes of the Dragon

Jul 10, 12

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, comics, superhero
Read in July, 2012

Secret Avengers? With over $600 million in worldwide box office, I’m pretty sure the secret is out.

Steve Rogers (Not dead, but not acting as Captain America either.) is still in charge of super hero type stuff, and he’s formed a covert team of Avengers to be all sneaky to head off threats. Steve has kind of an oddball team here with War Machine, Black Widow, Beast, Valkyrie, Moon Knight and Ant Man.

This one is a rare miss from Ed Brubaker. Steve has center stage on this story, and the other Avengers are barely involved. That’s too bad because the chemistry of the misfit team was one of the things I liked most about the first volume. The other problem I had with this one was that there is absolutely nothing done to explain who the main villain is. I’ve read hundreds, if not thousands, of Marvel Comics, but I had no idea who some of these characters were supposed to be.

Not bad, but I expect a lot more from Brubaker at this point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secret Avengers, Vol. 2.

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Brubaker's work seems to be dropping off in quality recently. Think Marvel need to let him chill for a bit or find him a better project he can put his mark on. At least it wasn't Bendis on the pen.

Kemper Michael wrote: "Brubaker's work seems to be dropping off in quality recently. Think Marvel need to let him chill for a bit or find him a better project he can put his mark on. At least it wasn't Bendis on the pen."

I wait for the TBP collections so I'm always a bit behind. I'm still liking his run on Captain America, and I thought the lastest Criminal - Last of the Innocent was the best one yet. But this one did seem like he might need a break.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael I still think even Brubaker's worst stuff is a lot better than some writer's best stuff. I thought the first few Captain America arcs were some of the best Marvel espionage thrillers since Steranko's Cap or Nick Fury.