Taylor's Reviews > Ruby Red

Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier

Jul 10, 12

bookshelves: what-i-really-enjoyed, kickass-heroine

Well, I'm thankful I chose to get this book today because it was AMAZING! Which given my avoidance of British authors (mostly because I find it hard to read with the different slang and words they use to describe things) is quite surprising. Gwen is funny, loyal, and a complete sweet heart. Gideon, the sexy but arrogant guy who is mire than he appears. And all the lovely characters in this book add friendship, jealousy, secrecy and just plain enjoyment.
While the concept of time travel is not exactly new, this spin on it was certainly interesting. You've got the added bonus of the Philosophers Stone (a widely disputed and used concept), visions of the future, and necromancy. The way the author focused on the gene that allows them to time travel and adding famous figures makes seem just that much more real. The questions about what would happen when they got all the blood is neat and makes me want to read on, and on. The way the author describes London leaves me a bit confused, mostly because I've never seen it and don't the spacing between places or where so and so street is located. However, I loved the way she described the differences between the times in London and how the clothing they wore was described.
I really wish that I had gotten this book later, when the other two books in the series were published, so that I could read them in one sitting.
I want to read more of this quirky cast of characters!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ruby Red.