Anna (Bobs Her Hair)'s Reviews > A Woman Entangled

A Woman Entangled by Cecilia Grant

Jun 18, 13

bookshelves: historical-romance, arc, for-review, my-precioussss, edelweiss
Read from June 08 to 11, 2013 — I own a copy, read count: 1

3.5 Stars…Exquisite Prose, Appealing Characters, and Humdrum Plot

An exquisitely beautiful young woman and unacknowledged granddaughter of an earl – provoked by her family’s poor treatment within noble society – is willing to forsake love to marry an aristocrat. Kate Westbrook sets aside romantic notions for practical purposes. Now, her goal is within sight. Unfortunately, a family friend’s meddling may disrupt her plans.

A few years ago, Nick Blackshear lost his head the first time he saw Kate. She bluntly nipped his courtship in the bud. Her conceit reduced his admiration of her; yet, over the years, this multifaceted woman behaved in other compelling ways to prove she is more than a pretty face. No matter. Nick has goals of his own. They may take some time to achieve due to a family scandal. Soon enough, those goals entwine with his friendship with Kate’s father and the ambitious woman herself.

A Woman Entangled seems to conclude the Blackshear Family series. The characters were all I had hoped they would be: rounded, compelling, and conflicted. Again, Cecilia Grants’ gorgeous prose absorbed my interest until the lethargic plot had me putting down the book a few times.

Ms. Grant has a talent for avoiding overused plot devices. This book continues with this trend, which I appreciate. Regrettably, the romance and family drama seemed inadequate. The straightforward plot needed more momentum, more energy. It’s a guarantee that Nick and Kate would have their happy ending. Their inner conflict - mostly family scandals - was sincere, but not strong enough to grip this reader. A Woman Entangled played out like the gentle music from a finely-tuned cello, but I was not expecting a lullaby.

I give Ms. Grant a great big cheer for creating a seemingly shallow heroine. Kate Westbrook was anything but superficial. Kate used the tools available to improve her family’s lot in life for the time period. This book may not have resonated with me like A Gentleman Undone, but other readers may be positively moved by the classically played elegance in her writing. I continue to look forward to Cecilia Grants’ future work.

Digital RC compliments of Random House Publishing via Edelweiss

I feel the need to 'gif' my feelings of joy! (No worries, friends; I'm using spoiler tags.)

I am SPECIAL! You may touch my ereader-page-turner hand. ;o)~
(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Woman Entangled.

Quotes Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Liked

Cecilia Grant
“Even two people who are no more than friends by daylight can fell prey to the influence of a secret dark room.”
Cecilia Grant, A Woman Entangled

06/08/2013 page 1
0.0% "Time for some yummy historical romance. Bring it on, Cecilia Grant!" 2 comments
06/10/2013
34.0% "Eloquent dialogue...I'm ready for something to happen!"
06/10/2013
49.0% ""You see? It doesn't make any sense that I would be in live with him now. Besides, I wouldn't be in any doubt, would I? Surely I would know."
[...]
"I begin to believe...that there have been some major omissions in what we were taught of these things...No one ever told me I might want to kiss a man for the sake of the kiss itself."
...Kissing without love . Wanton! lol"

message 1: by Negine (new) - added it

Negine You are indeed SPECIAL ;) love the gifs! I still have to read A Gentleman Undone!

Jill Ha,ha,ha! Great gifs, Anna! And congratulations! (view spoiler)

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Negine wrote: "You are indeed SPECIAL ;) love the gifs! I still have to read A Gentleman Undone!"

Boo! What are you waiting for? !!! Well, most readers seem to like the first book best.

Thanks, Jill! It was Julie Andrews spinning to the sounds of music or Ginger. The author's writing is classy so the Ginger gif won the honor. Hehe. (view spoiler)

message 4: by new_user (new) - added it

new_user LOL! Scrubs! Oh, man, I hope this is as good as I'm expecting!

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) new_user wrote: "LOL! Scrubs! Oh, man, I hope this is as good as I'm expecting!"

My expectations are also high. Cecelia Grant set a high bar.

No pressure, Ms. Grant! *applies pressure*

Jill Anna (Bobs Her Hair) wrote: "Negine wrote: "You are indeed SPECIAL ;) love the gifs! I still have to read A Gentleman Undone!"

Thank..."

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Anna (Bobs Her Hair) (last edited Feb 25, 2013 08:30PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Jill ... (view spoiler)

message 8: by Willow (new) - added it

Willow Oh wow, you got a copy of this!

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Willowfaerie wrote: "Oh wow, you got a copy of this!"

Yes! :o)

message 10: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Anna, I had better see your review posted PROMPTLY and not one second late. Three weeks!! I will be watching you for your review, stopwatch in hand.

Dam teasers.

Ps. I 5-star adored A Lady Awakened. Book two was okay, too.

Ticktickticktickticktick...

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Kathleen wrote: "Anna, I had better see your review posted PROMPTLY and not one second late. Three weeks!! I will be watching you for your review, stopwatch in hand.

Dam teasers.

Ps. ..."

I will start this book soon, my dear. Will let you know what I think. Perhaps, you can 'edit' my review. *cough*

message 12: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen @Anna,

Ha! An advance peek for me!

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Edit, Kathleen, EDIT! (view spoiler) lol

message 14: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Haha! You got me, Anna.

Teaser. There's a word for ladies like you. And it ain't lady.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) I'll post quotes. How does that sound? Good?

message 16: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Great!! Love quotes better 'n anything.

message 17: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Kathleen wrote: "Haha! You got me, Anna.

Teaser. There's a word for ladies like you. And it ain't lady."

Anna's the tease.

message 18: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Jill wrote: "Anna's the tease."

Did you wash your hands yet, Ji-chan?

message 19: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Kathleen wrote: "Jill wrote: "Anna's the tease."

Did you wash your hands yet, Ji-chan?"

Always wash my hands before eating! :)

message 20: by Searock (new)

Searock I peeked through my fingers at your review (I just started A Lady Awakened) and dinnae want to know anything, jic), but I could tell it was fabulous, as usual.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Searock wrote: "I peeked through my fingers at your review (I just started A Lady Awakened) and dinnae want to know anything, jic), but I could tell it was fabulous, as usual."

Hey! No peeking! It might prejudice you against the series. ;o)~

message 22: by Willow (new) - added it

Willow I think Cecilia Grant writes such well rounded characters, yet her stories are kind of slow. I get the feeling I would feel the same way about this one as you do.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Willowfaerie wrote: "I think Cecilia Grant writes such well rounded characters, yet her stories are kind of slow. I get the feeling I would feel the same way about this one as you do."

I think you and new_user would feel the same. The intensity in A Gentlemen Undone came from its damaged characters. Nick and Kate were interesting. Their struggles were not as compelling (to me) and also not enough to give this plot the energy it needed. The nice bonus was seeing the H/h from aGU.

message 24: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Well said, Anna! And I fully understand where you're coming from. I loved this, but yes it is slow. But for me that's the appeal of CG's work.

message 25: by Anna (Bobs Her Hair) (last edited Jun 19, 2013 07:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Jill wrote: "Well said, Anna! And I fully understand where you're coming from. I loved this, but yes it is slow. But for me that's the appeal of CG's work."

I appreciate the way she allows her characters time to fall in love. I think she puts too much burden on the characters to carry the story. I don't want a twisty-mustached villain, but I think this book would have benefited from tension from a bigger outside source. Nick and Kate's stigma wasn't enough, which is simplifying their problem but what it pretty much boiled down to.