Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)'s Reviews > The Tender Texan

The Tender Texan by Jodi Thomas

If you enjoy an old school western romance, this is a book you will like. The Tender Texan has both a hero and heroine who are survivors. They both have suffered tragedy and turmoil in their short lives. I absolutely adored Chance. He is a true, tough, fierce Texan, but he was also so loving and caring towards Anna. Jodi Thomas knows how to write absolutely scrumptious heroes--both incredibly loving and tender, but also formidable western heroes who know how to handle themselves and to take care of their women.

Chance has moved up near the top of my list. He's probably #3 now, #1 being Carter from The Texan's Wager, and #2 being Winter McQuillen from Two Texas Hearts. Chance lost his family in a renegade Indian attack, all except for his infant sister. His goal has been to make enough money to pay for the care of his sister. When Anna Meyer approaches his cattle campsite and asks for a man who is willing to marry her for a year, he offers himself, even though he's only nineteen years old. That's the kind of man Chance is. He might be young in years, but he's a fully grown man who knows how to handle himself and take care of his own, and he does that and more for Anna. Chance falls hard and soon for Anna, despite the fact that he's spent more time around cattle than women. He dreams of making love with his wife, making her his first and only woman, but he has to get past the wall around her heart first.

Anna frustrated me terribly at times. I did understand her issues, having been raped by her husband, and taken advantage and mentally/verbally abused by her mother. Yet, she wasn't able or willing to give Chance the opportunity to prove that he would be a good husband that she could love. The frustration I felt towards her couldn't be a mere fraction of what Chance felt. She craved his closeness, and was attracted to him, but her past had showed that a man couldn't give her anything but pain and humiliation, and that she was foolish to trust anyone or learn to depend on them. It was sad to read, because they both deserved better. Although Chance was the kind of man no one took for granted, because he was more than able to take care of himself; he had nothing on Anna. She is incredibly stubborn. I think that's a good thing. She couldn't have survived the tribulations she went through otherwise. Anna's not going to be a meek wife. She'll keep Chance on his toes. But, it's more than clear that he wants no other woman than her.

Although there isn't quite as much action in this story as some of Jodi Thomas' books, the depictions of the harsh journey that the German immigrants (including Anna) have to take from the Gulf Coast to their lands in New Braunfels are full of dangers--mainly from sickness and disease. I was actually glad that there wasn't a lot of Settler-Indian conflict in this book--that just breaks my heart. I liked that Ms. Thomas made it clear that not all Indians were violent towards the settlers. Chance has an issue with an Indian that killed his family, but he's not out to kill them all--he's actually friendly with various groups.

I like how Jodi Thomas shows humanity in all its forms. Her down-to-earth way of writing characters really speaks to me. I like her humor, a welcome counterpoint to the inherent danger and sadness of a life on the frontier.

It was good to immerse myself back into another fantastic romance by a dependably wonderful writer in the western romance genre. Definitely recommended.
18 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tender Texan.

08/02/2010 page 118
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 I hope you are enjoying this one, Danielle! I don't think a person can ever go wrong with JT!!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I agree, Ally. It's so nice to read one of her books again.

Dani "The REAL Cullens_Girl since 2002" I love a good western and admittedly a small fetish for angst-ridden heroines. Adding it. I've never read Jodi Thomas. Another great review. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Dani. Jodi Thomas is the tops for westerns in my book!

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen Awesome review, Danielle. After watching you and Ally read all of these JT books lately, she's next on my books to buy list.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Love the review, Danielle. I've not read anything by Jodi Thomas. Guess I better get gettin' on that.

message 7: by Beanbag (new) - added it

Beanbag Love Great review, Danielle! Another addition to the TBR.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I wish Danielle would take about a year off of writing reviews so I might have a chance to catch up on my TBR shelf. She reviews it, I simply MUST buy it. *sigh*

It's not MY fault I have no self control, is it?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Karen, Bean, and Dhestiny. That's a wonderful compliment, Dhestiny! I doubt you'd be disappointed with Jodi Thomas.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I've added The Tender Texan. Any other recommendations?

message 11: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB I am sure I read her sometime during my high school western fetish but I don't remember her.

Great review Danielle, I will have to check her out.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) The Wife Lottery series, Dhestiny:

The Texan's Wager (Wife Lottery, #1) by Jodi Thomas When a Texan Gambles (Wife Lottery, #2) by Jodi Thomas The Texan's Reward (Wife Lottery,  #4) by Jodi Thomas A Texan's Luck (Wife Lottery, #3) by Jodi Thomas

and

Two Texas Hearts by Jodi Thomas.

If you don't like these, she's probably not for you.

Thanks, Melissa. I think you'd like her. Just a heads up, they aren't that steamy.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Thanks, Lady D.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) You're welcome. I hope you like her.

message 15: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review as always Danielle!

message 17: by Brylit (new)

Brylit Great review, again! Haven't read any westerns since the Seven Brides series, which I loved. Brylit

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Oh, Brylit.... My daughter and I grabbed the first 3 Seven Brides books at B&N. They're being re-released. She's LOVING them. Do you know if they'll be re-releasing the rest and if so, when?

message 19: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Ladies...What are the Seven Brides series? Are these books by Jodi Thomas because I haven't seen those on her backlist.

message 20: by Brylit (new)

Brylit I'm so happy to hear this, UniquelyMoi, and I'm not in the know concerning where or when. Hopefully, Lady D is. I hope it will be rather widely released through the major booksellers, though. I want my own copies, as well. Brylit

message 21: by UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick (last edited Aug 05, 2010 10:40AM) (new) - added it

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick The Seven Brides series I'm talking about are by Leigh Greenwood, a male western romance author.

So far, Brylit, I've tracked down Rose, Fern, Iris and Laurel in re-released format, but no others. I'm contacting the publisher. They are only $4.99 through Barnes and Noble

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Lady A, I haven't read them yet, but my daughter is loving them!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Brylit. I personally hadn't heard about a rerelease, but that doesn't mean anything. The Seven Brides series is definitely worth reading if you like westerns.

message 24: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Thanks for the information, ladies. This is going to sound sexist (and I don't mean it to be), but I don't usually read any romance authors by men. If everyone thinks this series is really good, I will definitely have to add them. Of course, I will probably start the series (and love it) and then only be able to find the first few books in release!!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) It's your own preference, nothing to feel bad about, Ally. I think he's a good writer. I like that his guys do feel like guys. He has the western elements done really well. I think the romance is good, too.

message 26: by Shawna (new) - added it

Shawna Wonderful review, Danielle! :)

message 28: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Ally - I don't read romance novels by men either. I tried Leigh Greenwood and didn't like the writing style which made sense to me when I found out it was a man.

Danielle - most of the historicals I read are not that hot, I read westerns mostly from the 1990's. I like all types (though I admittedly prefer hotter).

message 29: by Ally72 (new)

Ally72 Thanks Melissa...I am glad I am not the only one that feels that way. I will be giving this series a try because I have found that I really like western romances (although, I have so many Jodi Thomas books to look forward to reading right now that I probably shouldn't be thinking about starting a new author...LOL)!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I don't mean to pigeonhole you, Melissa. I just want to make that clear in general, because I know a lot of the girls on here like their steamy. If you like the older westerns, I think you like this one just fine.

Ally and Melissa, I admit I like reading male authors, in general. I haven't read too many male romance authors, but I know Dean Koontz tends to have really good romances in his books. Jim Butcher has some romance in his Harry Dresden books. I like getting in the guys head, and they do action so well. I love a good action/adventure, and especially westerns. I think he did a great job on the romance. Which one did you read and not like, Melissa?

message 31: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Danielle,

I have no clue, it was about 10 years ago. But I remember trying one or two and not liking the style.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I tried to read Born to Love, and it was really slow. I put that one down. The Seven Bride books are worth reading, if you want to try again. I also have his Cowboys series.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I've read lots of Koontz books. My favorites are his Odd Thomas series and Watchers by Dean Koontz

message 34: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I tried to read Born to Love, and it was really slow. I put that one down. The Seven Bride books are worth reading, if you want to try again. I also have his Cowboys series."

Danielle - I'll put one on my "to try" list. My tastes may have changed in the last 10 years. Thanks.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) You're welcome, Melissa. I think my tastes have changed slightly over the years too.

Dhestiny, Watchers is my all time favorite DK book! I love it! It has a great romance.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Lady D., I agree. It was my FIRST DK read and wow, what a great story.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Yeah, I agree. It really hooked me. I've read a couple others, but nothing else grabbed me like Watchers and Odd Thomas.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I haven't read Odd Thomas yet. Lightning is very good.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I did read Lightning too. And there was one other I read about the same time... hmmm.... I can't think of what it was... oh well.

I think you'll like Odd Thomas. It's funny, suspenseful, and Odd is such a great character.