Angela Risner's Reviews > Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar

Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed

Jul 10, 12

I had not read any of Strayer's writings before, nor had I ever heard of Sugar. I was intrigued by the description.

At first, I was a bit put off as the opening talks about Strayed's experiences with incest. There's nothing wrong with her discussing that; it simply wasn't what I expected. However, I read on and was glad that I did so.

Strayed has a unique way of looking at the world, one that I enjoy very much. She gives sound advice without being judgmental. I found lots of nuggets of knowledge:

*We are all entitled to out opinions and religious beliefs, but we are not entitled to make sh*t up and then use sh*t we made up to oppress other people.
*...I wasn't ready to love only one person yet...
*That life is long, that people both change and remain the same, that every last one of us will need to f*ck up and be forgiven, that we're all just walking and walking and walking and trying to find our way, that all roads lead eventually to the mountaintop.
*Even if you get the dream, you don't know if it will stay true.
*You don't have to get a job that makes others feel comfortable about what they perceive as your success. You don't have to explain what you plan to do with your life. You don't have to justify your education by demonstrating its financial rewards. You don't have to maintain an impeccable credit score. Anyone who expects you to do any of those things has no sense of history or economics or science or the arts. You have to pay your own electric bill. You have to be kind. You have to give it all you got. You have to find people who love you truly and love them back with the same truth. But that's all.
*Carry it with me, as I do everything that matters.
There is no why. You don't have a right to the cards you believe you should have been dealt. You have an obligation to play the hell out of the ones you're holding.
*There are things you will understand in one year, in 10 years, and in 20 years.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book and found myself thinking about it when I wasn't reading it. Always a good sign.

Highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiny Beautiful Things.