Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)'s Reviews > The Texan's Wager

The Texan's Wager by Jodi Thomas

I can't tell you how much I love this book. It's a special love story, with characters you will never find in another book. Carter McKoy has my complete and utter devotion. He may not attract all romance novel fans. He doesn't talk, not that he can't. He just doesn't. He's a recluse. He's a virgin. But he's a survivor. His family was horribly murdered while he was forced to hide out. His parents told him to survive and that's what he did. His strength of will and character are what attracted me to him and earned my eternal devotion. He's a beta hero, but he's no pushover. He's capable and resourceful, and reading this book only shows just how endowed with these traits he is. One day he decides to find a wife. His chosen bride is Bailee, who has the choice of getting married to one of the men who shows up for the wife lottery or possibly being hanged for killing a man who tried to assault her and her friends. The town is so small and devoid of women that the lawman would much rather marry off the three women criminals than see them hung. It turns out to be a very fortunate day for both Bailee and Carter. Carter takes home his new bride, and the love story begins. It's a true, simple love story. Although they are not alike, Carter and Bailee are true soulmates. They embody what a marriage should be. Watching them grow to know and to love each other and take care of each other is a true joy. They truly meet each others' needs. If you want to read a different kind of romance with a very unique hero, but one that shows the true spirit of romance, read this book. I doubt that you would be disappointed. They don't call Jodi Thomas the queen of Texas romance for no reason.
39 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Texan's Wager.

Ana T. This sounds like my kind of book, adding it to the WL. Thanks!

message 3: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review Danielle!
I haven't read this, but my mom loved this book to bits!

message 5: by Angelc (new) - added it

Angelc Great review, Danielle! This looks so good!! Is it very sad?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Angelc. I don't think so. It's awful what happens to his family and there are some tense moments because of the villain. It's really an uplighting story because of how Carter and Bailee found each other.

message 7: by Angelc (new) - added it

Angelc Thanks, Danielle! I'm going to put this on my to read list now!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) You're welcome. I hope you enjoy it, Angelc.

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Debbie This was a great series.

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Otten I really loved this book as well. The second book about Sarah is super too. They're both in my keeper pile. I'm a big Jodi Thomas fan anyway, but this is one of her best.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I agree. Sarah's book was really good too. Lacy's book was good, but Walker got on my nerves initially. He is one of Jodi Thomas' harder heroes.

SheLove2Read This is a great read. And see to me he's not a beta hero at all. He's somewhere between beta and alpha but more like a silent alpha (to the extreme). He has wants and desires but due to the way he grew up - in a mostly silent world - he didn't know how to get it. Thomas created the perfect heroine for him too.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) That's interesting, Sherri. He strikes me as the best sort of beta hero. I think that the perception of beta heroes is that they are soft. My ideal beta hero is quiet, thoughtful, and has an inner strength. That's Carter to a T in my opinion. But I know we see things through a diferent pair of eyes. Yes, Bailee was the best heroine in the world for him. They are one of my favorite couples.

message 15: by Beanbag (new)

Beanbag Love Great review, Danielle!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Beanbag. I think I need to do another reread of this. I've been missing some Carter in my life. LOL. I wish they would make this into a movie (but a good one)!

message 17: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Awesome review, Danielle. I'm reading my first Jodi Thomas novel right now...can't wait to get this one.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Karen. I hope you enjoy it. Jodi Thomas has won my devotion. She writes the best Western romances, IMHO.

Ally72 Danielle...This is such a beautiful review. I just finished this one and I am kind of left speechless (which is saying something for me). I know you haven't read the Virgin River series yet, but this book reminds me of the second one in the series (Shelter Mountain). The hero in that book is very similar to Carter and I think you would really enjoy reading it.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Ally. I'm glad I saw your post. I know what you mean. I was so surprised at how beautiful this simple story was to me. I have Shelter Mountain in my bookcase in my room to read. I am always eager to read heroes like Carter.

Ally72 Danielle...I think you are just going to love Shelter Mountain when you decide to read Robyn Carr. Preacher is the hero in that one and it is so swoon worthy in his quiet and gentle way!

message 22: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha I loved Preacher. That was my favorite one in the series.

Ally72 I have the latest two to read, Samantha...but Preacher and Paige's story has been my favorite one so far!

message 24: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha Same here, Ally! I really enjoyed their story. I have to read the last two as well :)

Lucie "a heart so wild" Lady Danielle, I think I'm going to buy this book...your review make me so curious, I like western HR, but haven't buy any of Jodi Thomas.

valee Amazing review Danielle! As always!. I have been very curious about this series for a while, heard great things about it, but after your review I am definitely moving it p on my TBR pile.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) This is one of my all-time favorites. Carter isn't a typical hero, but I loved him for it. I want a Carter of my own! I think Jodi Thomas writes the best westerns!

Thanks, Vale!

Lucie "a heart so wild" Ok Lady Danielle, I'll buy this book and find out Jodi Thomas's style...

Ronyell Awesome review Danielle! Thank you so much for recommending this book to me!! It was awesome!!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Hugs, Ronyell. I am happy to spread the love!

Ronyell **Hugs***

Lucie "a heart so wild" Lady Danielle, I'm in the midst of reading this book....and its true! its true!...Carter McKoy is very different with other hero!
Ooh Thanks Lady Danielle for your review...makes me pick this book!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Lucie, I hope you end up enjoying it!

Silvana~Duchess of Avonlea~ Oh Danielle, I absolutely adore Carter McKoy and his bread rationing ways. Thanks for the review and I will have to search your shelves for similar heroes to sink my teeth into.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I'm glad to hear it, Silvana. Carter is worthy of all the adoration he can get! Love him!