Lisa's Reviews > The First Escape

The First Escape by G.P. Taylor

7221949
Jul 12, 12

Read from July 10 to 12, 2012

This is the sort of book I might not have read until much later, like when my kids are older and want to read young adult fantasy/adventure books, but I'm so glad I picked it up as part of Tyndale's Summer Reading Program.

The first of the Dopple Ganger Chronicles, The First Escape is part book, part graphic novel. Great illustrations, including some words emphasized for effect in illustrative form. I loved it.

Author G.P. Taylor's reviews call him "hotter than Potter" and "the next C.S. Lewis." Seems like he has big shoes to fill. I've yet to read any Harry Potter books (chastise me -- they're on my neverending to-read list) so I can't vouch for that, and it's hard for me to put anyone in the same tier as C.S. Lewis when it comes to fantasy/adventure/children's fables. However, I would hand these books to middle-grade kids without reservation. There are two more books in the series and I can't wait to dig in.

If there's a downside, it's that the illustrations sometimes made it hard for me to understand what had happened. But I think that's more because I'm not used to reading graphic novels.

A great start to what I hope is a great series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Escape.