Anna M.'s Reviews > Toby's Room

Toby's Room by Pat Barker

Jul 25, 12

Read from July 23 to 25, 2012

I received this book through the Goodreads First Reads. It was definitely a page turner. It didn't really matter that I hadn't read the first book (Life Class) - Toby's Room has the same characters but I'm fairly certain it tells a very different story. The main storyline revolves around discovering the mysterious circumstances surrounding the "Missing, Believed Killed" telegram that Elinor Brooke and her family receive about her brother Toby. I liked parts of the story (The sections about the effects of war on soldiers, both the physical and mental, were very interesting and, I thought, well researched) and I thought the writing was pretty good, but this was not a memorable read for me. It was too melodramatic, with too many shock factors. I also thought the "mystery," once solved, didn't seem to make sense. The reader gets one solid impression of Toby in the beginning of the book, then all of the sudden he's someone else entirely. It's almost like Barker wasn't sure what she was building up to and then at the last minute had to create something else shocking just for the readers sake.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Toby's Room.