Cristi Marashi's Reviews > The Sweetness of Forgetting

The Sweetness of Forgetting by Kristin Harmel

F 50x66
Jul 10, 2012

Read from July 10 to 15, 2012

This was a refreshing story in so many ways. It was filled with things I am interested in- The Holocaust, baking, getting to know characters not only in the present, but also in the past. This was a novel I couldn't put down. I wanted to know what Hope was going to find out about Mamie's life. I felt sorrow for both when reading about the terrible things each had endured in her life. It was especially interesting to me learning of Mamie's woes and how the tragedies that befell her when she was younger shaped every essence of her being. This was a well written story, with characters you can definitely sympathize with and that you will find yourself wanting to know more about. I practically read this in one sitting. If I didn't have 3 little ones to look after, I absolutely would have finished it in one day. I think this is going to be huge for Kristin Harmel. I absolutely recommend The Sweetness of Forgetting to anyone who is interested in fiction that takes a peek into history, who enjoy romance or tragedy or who like to bake! One of the coolest things about this novel is that Mamie's recipes are sprinkled throughout the book. I know there were several that made me think, "Oh, I definitely have to make that" while I was traveling through this story with Hope.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweetness of Forgetting.