Jen's Reviews > My Name is Will

My Name is Will by Jess Winfield

Nov 29, 2008

bookshelves: fiction, truthiness
Recommended to Jen by: my goodreads friends
Recommended for: Shakespeare fans

I've been stewing for days on how many stars to give this book. I wanted to give it 3.5, but goodreads doesn't give you that option.
Why, you ask, was this such a quandary?
Stuff that puts it in the fours column: unique voices, fun time-bending, I learned stuff about Shakespeare (he was a Catholic?!), Winfield does a good job keeping the plot moving, one of the best-written sex scenes I've ever read (mind you, I don't read a lot of smut)
Stuff that puts it in the threes column: grad student living off his parent's dime seems old and stale, there's a few plot moves that are so predictable that I had to say "Oh, come on!" out loud, female characters aren't developed enough (except for Shakespeare's sister!).
I ultimately decided on four stars because anyone who can make academic subjects fun and action-filled deserves a read. This novel is fun! You'll learn something! You'll feel smarter for reading about Shakespeare! And the sex scene - va va voom!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Name is Will.

message 1: by alex (new) - added it

alex Thanks for the details - I like to know what you think! I've put it on my to-read list.