Jill's Reviews > Kiss of Steel

3820197
Aug 03, 12

bookshelves: 2012-debuts, fantasy-pnr-sci-fi-romance, 2012-4-5-5-stars
Read in July, 2012

Six months ago, Honoria Todd, her sister and brother moved into Whitechapel to escape the Duke of Vickers, knowing the rookeries was the one place he would not dare to come. Instead Vickers placed a reward on her head. Blade is the self-styled ruler of Whitechapel and has his own reasons for thwarting Vickers. If Vickers wants Honoria so badly, then Blade is determined to hold on to Honoria all the more.

When Honoria is summoned to see Blade, he offers her 'protection'. For a price. Wanting to be neither his mistress nor blood thrall, she offers Blade the only thing she can. Her services as a speech and etiquette teacher three nights a week.

Before her father's death six months ago, Honoria was her father's research assistant working on a vaccination against the craving virus. Now with her younger sister Lena and infected brother Charlie, Honoria is eking out an existence as a tutor. Blade has ruled over Whitechapel for fifty years. Taken in by Vickers from the streets when he was young and infected, Blade is considered a rogue blue blood.

This debut is a combination of steampunk, alternate history, paranormal with vampires (plus brief mentions of loupe and verwulfen). The world-building is very good. Enough, without overdoing it in the first book of the series. The romance between Blade and Honoria is really lovely. And I found myself strangely attracted to Blade because of his mangled speech!

There is a lot to enjoy in this debut from Bec McMaster. The boss fight at the end was exceptionally well-done. There's a vampire loose in Whitechapel that needs to be hunted down, adding a bit of action and adventure, excitement and intrigue.

I look forward to her second book in this series featuring Lena, Honoria's sister and Will Carver, Blade's verwulfen commander. Kiss of Steel is an impressive debut. Highly recommended.

Steam: 3

ARC courtesy of Sourcebooks (Casablanca) via NetGalley

44 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of Steel.

message 1: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Great review Jilly! YES, I'm really looking forward to this one to come out.

Jill Wendy wrote: "Great review Jilly! YES, I'm really looking forward to this one to come out."

Thanks Wen! Do you already have it on your Mtn? Anyway, this is a must-read!

message 3: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy I'm happy to say, yes it was already on the Mtn.

Elizabeth I added it to my list as well based on your recommendation. It looks really good!

Jill Elizabeth wrote: "I added it to my list as well based on your recommendation. It looks really good!"

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, Elizabeth!

message 6: by Karla (new)

Karla Nicely done Jill!

"And I found myself strangely attracted to Blade because of his mangled speech!"

Curious to see what you mean by this.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Great review, Jilly! Sounds good! I'm interested in this one. Love the cover!

Jill Karla wrote: "Nicely done Jill!

Curious to see what you mean by this."

@ Karla
Thanks Karla!

Curious to see what you mean by this.
His speech is not cultured. It's very much of the lower classes, which I wouldn't normally find particularly attractive. Similar to (though not quite the same as) Charming Mickey's accent, I had the same reaction to Blade's course speech.

Blade to Honoria - "Ain't nothin' wrong with 'ow I speak, luv."

message 10: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Great review, Jilly! Sounds good! I'm interested in this one. Love the cover!"

@ Jayne

And thanks Jaynie, this is a great novel and esp since it's a debut.

Drop me a line sometime, let me know how you are!

message 11: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Baba wrote: "Great review, Jill!"

@ Baba
Thanks B! Must be a planetary alignment. We're both here at the same time!

message 12: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Aug 01, 2012 05:25AM) (new) - added it

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Jill wrote: "@ Jayne
Jaynie's back! Welcome home, sweetie! Or have you been back for a while? I don't get here to GR too often. "

Hi Jilly! I've missed you! Thank you!

I've been back a week and a half and unfortunately my holiday feels like a distant memory. *sobs* Work has been full-on and so haven't been on here. But I'm sick and stayed home today. Slept the whole day and thought I'll finally get on GRs again. Missed you ladies!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Jill wrote: "Baba wrote: "Great review, Jill!"

Thanks B! Must be a planetary alignment. We're both here at the same time!"

LOLOLOL *waves* I'm early because I'm not working and then I hope to watch Cancellara (cycling at the Olympics). He's had a bad crash but I hope he's good enough for maybe...another gold medal. We shall see.

message 15: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Jill wrote: "@ Jayne

Hi Jilly! I've missed you! Thank you!

I've been back a week and a..."

@ Jaynie

message 16: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Baba wrote: "Jill wrote: "Baba wrote: "Great review, Jill!"

Thanks B! Must be a planetary alignment. We're both here at the same time!"

LOLOLOL *waves* I'm early because I'm not working and then I hope..."

@ Baba
*waves back* I've just finished for the day, even though it's nearly 10.30pm. Trying to catch up on notifications before sleep.

Good to see you B. Hope Cancellara wins. Unless of course he's competing against the Aussies!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Jill wrote: "Baba wrote: "Jill wrote: "Baba wrote: "Great review, Jill!"

Thanks B! Must be a planetary alignment. We're both here at the same time!"

LOLOLOL *waves* I'm early because I'm not working an..."

Hah! no comment. Ah, Federer will play too. Go, Rog!!!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Jill wrote: "@ Jaynie
So good to have you back safe and sound! Missed you too. Don't be a stranger, Jaynie! "

In some ways it's good to be back - own bed and hopefully more GRs time - and other ways, not - work and cold weather. Ugh. You know I won't, Jilly! Well, time to head back to bed. Catch up some other time, sweetie! xx

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Hi Baba! *waves*"

Hey Jaynie!!! Glad to see you again. *waves back* ((Hugs))

message 20: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Jill wrote: "@ Jaynie

@ Jayne
Nite! Get better soon.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Baba wrote: " Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Hi Baba! *waves*"

Hey Jaynie!!! Glad to see you again. *waves back* ((Hugs))"

Good to see you, too, Baba! Enjoy your day off of watching Canceralla! ^_^ Hope to catch up next time, ya!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Jill wrote: "@ Jayne
Nite! Get better soon. "

G'night, Jill! Thank you!!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Baba wrote: " Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Hi Baba! *waves*"

Hey Jaynie!!! Glad to see you again. *waves back* ((Hugs))"

Good to see you, too, Baba! Enjoy your day off of watching ..."

See you, my lovely. Sweet dreams!

message 24: by ~ Becs ~ (new)

~ Becs ~ Great review Jill - I love that this takes places on the hunting ground of one of our most infamous serial killers.

message 25: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Becs wrote: "Great review Jill - I love that this takes places on the hunting ground of one of our most infamous serial killers."

Thanks Becs! Yes, I should have mentioned that in my review. And I don't think it's a coincidence that the author used Whitechapel as the setting.

message 26: by TJ (new)

TJ Man, we've got to get some steampunk books at InD'Tale, this one looks really good! Great review, m'friend!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Nice review Jill..Im looking forward to this one when it gets here in Canada.

message 28: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill TJ wrote: "Man, we've got to get some steampunk books at InD'Tale, this one looks really good! Great review, m'friend!"

@ TJ
Thanks Teej! I love steampunk! And this is a goodie!

message 29: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "Nice review Jill..Im looking forward to this one when it gets here in Canada."

@ Sandi
Thanks Sandi! I thought this was a very good novel, and esp since it's a debut. Hope you enjoy it!

message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee Great review Jilly ☺

message 31: by KatLynne (new)

KatLynne As always, great review Jilly!

message 32: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill @ Dee & KatLynne
Thankyou!

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Sounds like my kind of book! So these vampires must have been good for you, eh? :o)

message 34: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Anna wrote: "Sounds like my kind of book! So these vampires must have been good for you, eh? :o)"

I think you will like this, Anna. Actually the vampire blood-sucking thing wasn't the turn off it usually is for me. Plus, the story's not dominated by vampires.

message 35: by Shawna (last edited Sep 30, 2012 01:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Great review, Jilly! I really enjoyed this one! Blade was such a yummy hero!

message 36: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Shawna wrote: "Great review, Jilly! I really enjoyed this one! Blade was such a yummy hero!"

Thanks Shawna!

Feminista Nice review Jill. Starting this book now XD

message 38: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Nab wrote: "Nice review Jill. Starting this book now XD"

Thanks Nab! Hope you enjoy it!

message 39: by Dd (new)

Dd Great review Jill!!:))

message 40: by kristina (new) - added it

kristina Yay it sounds like a good book!!
Great review Jill :))