Darcy's Reviews > Unraveling

Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris

Jul 11, 12

bookshelves: 2012, ya
Read from July 10 to 11, 2012

I will fully admit that the only reason I picked this book up was because it was picked for one of my groups BOM's. I wasn't all that excited to read it, but after finishing I have to say had I not read this I would have been missed a good one.

This book went places that I didn't expect and at times seemed very far fetched. I felt sorry Janelle and her family situation. I hated how her father took for granted that Janelle would step up and take care of the family, when as the parent he should be doing that. Yes, the mom was a basket case and needed professional help, but Janelle shouldn't be the one in the house filling the "mom" role in regards to parenting Jared and keeping the house going. What I liked about this situation is that it fostered a closeness with the dad, Janelle, and Jared, along with Struz as the oddball sort of uncle. Struz's role in the family was weird to me. At times I wasn't sure what he was about, there was the hero worship with the father, the big brother to Janelle and Jared.

At first things seemed like the normal drama with Janelle and all of the guys. I loved the relationship with Alex, BFF's that could tell each other anything. Alex was there for her during her worst night and kept her secret. Janelle was his co-conspirator to get around his mom, who actually made me laugh with her control freak ways. While these 2 didn't always agree, in the big ways they knew they could depend on each other, which made what happened at the end shocking.

I wasn't sure where things were going with the stoner guys. While I liked Ben from the start, the other 2 were up in the air. What surprised me was my opinions started out one way, but by the end it turned out I was wrong.

I am torn on the ending. Part of me is happy that someone got what they wanted, but the other part of me is sad that they got what they wanted. I also wonder what if there are going to be consequences to the events of this book. I look forward to reading the next books to see how things shake out.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unraveling.

07/10/2012 page 302
68.0% "I didn't really expect to like this one, but I do. It wasn't what I thought it would be going in."

Naoms Let me know what you think. I am hesitant to read this one. :-)

Darcy Sure, I know what you mean. The only reason why I picked it up in the first place was because it is the BOM for one of my groups. I am actually glad that it was picked now.

Darcy Naomi, I think this one is worth reading. If you feel iffy, try to get it from the library, that way if it isn't for you all you are out is your time.