Nicole's Reviews > The Dim Sum of All Things

The Dim Sum of All Things by Kim Wong Keltner

Jul 10, 2012

bookshelves: culture, chinese-culture, memoir
Read in August, 2004 — I own a copy

Finished the last couple of pages of this today. I was actually looking for authors refrenced to in Rashomon, when i saw the color of this book. YES, its true, im attracted by the covers and titles. i dont research and get a book i want. i just end up very lucky by finding good books. i liked the pun on the phrase DIM SUM, which could be used in a chinese or american way. dim sum as in the chinese a la carte luncheon, or dim sum, as in a bleak outlook of things. i liked the cover as well. seemed my style. Lets just say that i LOVED this book. perfect plot and character development, perfect details, but leaving enough for you to determine your own conclusions, just steering you in the right direction. i liked her side stories where she would be talking and then all of a sudden go : END TAPE ONE. REWIND, LIKE, A THOUSAND TIMES…. etc. and then go into a tanget story before resuming the original plotline. i liked the characters like-ness to me, except she was the opposite of me. her love interest was more like me. a chinese grandmother that grew up in hawai’i. (ha-vah- eee). i love love loved this book, and didnt want it to end. it was like, the way i DONT want to end up, in terms of culture-ness.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dim Sum of All Things.