Katharine's Reviews > The Girl in the Mask

F 50x66
Jul 10, 2012

bookshelves: historical-fiction, young-adult
Read from July 10 to 12, 2012

This was a crackingly exciting book that was quite difficult to tear myself away from at times. The plot centres on a young girl in the early 18th century who is determined to escape her restrictive life and cruel father. Sophia is headstrong, fearless and at times very reckless, qualities that get her into a lot of trouble but also help to get her out of it. Add in an intriguing male friend, some enjoyable overtones of Georgette Heyer, and the firmly historical setting of 18th century Bath and the Rising of 1715, which all mixed together make for a very enjoyable and pacy read. My one slight criticism was that I wondered if Sophia's attitudes might have been a tiny bit too modern at times, but then I remembered that her heroine was Aphra Behn and thought maybe not. I've seen some readers criticise the ending but I thought it worked perfectly for the characters though if there was a sequel I certainly wouldn't complain.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Mask.