Kim's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Nov 01, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from October 20 to November 01, 2012

SPOILERS

There are many conflicting opinions surrounding this book, but Order of the Phoenix is my favorite of the series. The main reason being, is that it is the most emotionally charged (for me, at least.) The character of Umbridge and the injustice of the Ministry now that Voldemort has returned is a realistic parallel to how humans react to tragedy. They don't want to accept anything that might disrupt their perfect world, and therefore, ignore the problem. The story becomes darker as Voldemort's connection with Harry comes into full force and Sirius is killed.

I feel for Harry in this book as his teenage angst sets in. Ironically, readers complain about Harry's complaining! He's an adolescent! and he has major anxiety about his connection with Voldemort. Of course he's going to be constantly pissed off. Any person would. If there's one thing Rowling does extremely well, it's giving age-accurate thoughts and emotions to her characters. Harry has to learn to accept and live with his fate. The story is so well written and complex, I love it! I am often so impressed at how this series fits together like pieces of a puzzle.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Quotes Kim Liked

J.K. Rowling
“Wit beyond measure is a man's greatest treasure.”
tags: wit

J.K. Rowling
“Youth can not know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if they forget what it was to be young.”

J.K. Rowling
“I feel I owe you another explanation Harry," said Dumbledore hesitantly. "You may, perhaps, wondered why I never chose you as a prefect? I must confess...that I rather thought...you had enough responsibility to be going on with."
Harry looked up at him and saw a tear trickling down Dumbledore's face into his long silver beard.”

J.K. Rowling
“Things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end, if not always in the way we expect.”

J.K. Rowling
“Harry, suffering like this proves you are still a man! This pain is part of being human —”
“THEN — I — DON’T — WANT — TO — BE — HUMAN!” Harry roared.”

10/21/2012 page 10
show 17 hidden updates…

message 1: by Christian (new) - added it

Christian Very deep, Kim. Very deep. *rubs chin thoughtfully* I would have to concur.