Valerie's Reviews > The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals

The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan

Jul 25, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction, social-science, science
Read from July 10 to 22, 2012

Today it takes between seven and ten calories of fossil fuel energy to deliver one calorie of food energy to an American plate.

The typical item of food on an American's plate travels some fifteen hundred miles to get there, and is frequently better traveled and more worldly than its eater.

Is the unwillingness to pay more for food really a matter of affordability or priority?

A meal that is eaten in full consciousness of what it took to make it is worth preparing every now and again, as a way to remind us of the true costs of the things we take for granted.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone who endeavors to be a conscious eater. It's thorough, exceptionally well-written, and without a question relevant.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Omnivore's Dilemma.

07/16/2012

message 1: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Brown Let me know what you think.

Valerie I'm almost done reading it; I LOVE it. Did you get my other message? It's inspired me to try to eat more locally. There's a ranch near where we're moving that sells grass-fed beef. I'm hearing it tastes different. What do you think? Should I try it before I buy a bunch?

Sandy Parsons That book changed my life.

message 4: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Brown I bought it about a year ago but there's always something else I grab first! I've heard nothing but good things about it. Currently reading "It Starts With Food" by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig. Pretty good info and I recommend it as well.

And yes, you will taste a difference in grass fed beef if you cook is simply and without much added seasoning.

Congrats on the new house by the way!

Valerie Thanks! If you have any tips on how to cook the beef so it's tasty, let me know. Remember you are dealing with a beginner!!