drey's Reviews > Discount Armageddon

Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire

Jul 10, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads, urban-fantasy
Read in March, 2012

Discount Armageddon is a fabulous urban fantasy romp with a kick-ass ballroom-dancing heroine, a lot of snark and sass sprinkled liberally throughout – starting with the little quotes at the beginning of each chapter, and a horde of mice who know how to have a good time. The Price family were once part of a shadowy organization who went around exterminating the monsters populating our world. An epiphany later, they’re no longer hunters – instead they catalog the Cryptids and send the more dangerous ones (to humans, that is) on their way.

We meet Verity Price while she’s in New York, waitressing at a Cryptid strip-joint whilst in-between dance competitions. In her spare time, she gets to know the monsters in her city, and dispatches the bad guys. She likes dancing, Krav Maga, and free-running. Then she meets Dominic De Luca, who’s in town to assess the Cryptid threat in NYC. Or, in other words, messing around in her turf.

Sparks fly as girl meets boy, boy disdains girl’s family, and girl beats boy up. Then sass comes into the picture as girl figures out how she’s going to work with boy to find out what’s really happening to the Cryptids in her city. Because it’s her city darn it – and nobody is going to mess with her monsters but her. Not even the creepy lizard-men she finds in the sewers below the city…

I love the variety of life forms populating Seanan McGuire’s new series. I love that Verity’s as snarky as they come. And I love McGuire’s story-telling. Discount Armageddon is the first InCryptid book I’ve read, but I can tell you now it won’t be the last. (But Seanan, please please please give me more Toby Daye, soon!)

drey’s rating: Excellent!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Discount Armageddon.