Anoud's Reviews > Memoirs of a Geisha

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Nov 19, 08

bookshelves: fiction

Breaking my promise of keeping myself away from dramatic novels, I made up my mind to read this one, and just lucky me …….it was really worth it.

Memoris of a geisha is an astonishing novel that exposes the questionable secretive life of geisha specifically, and the superb Japanese culture in general. It's a story of Chiyo, a-nine-year-old girl, who had happened to be driven away from her own family, town and the spontaneous innocence of childhood, to be thrown in a curst, sickening life. In a world where loneliness becomes the precise definition of life, Chiyo-chan seeks desperately surviving with some of her few shattered hopes and dreams. In somehow or another she could actually make it through the symphony of that suffering.

It was quite stunning how a Western author could represent a totally exotic culture with such extremely intimate fine descriptions. I really loved his writing-style, the way he overuses similes and metaphors which just put you in that amazing pre-set fantasy.

Nonetheless, as the story was approaching the end, I found it kinda boring. Until the very moment when Pumpkin betrayal takes place. Now I didn't see this one coming, which actually I found it "superbly duperly" brilliant. I just didn't imagine that clumsy girl would turn to be a nasty one.

My favorite character was Mameha. I disliked Chiyo, the main character, though you can't help but awfully sympathize with her for which her life, personality, dignity and dreams were hardly crushed.

If I were to change something in the story, I would change the end. I wished that the Chairman walks out on Chiyo and leaves her behind!

Oh, all what i am thinking about right now is to wear a kimono :D
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of a Geisha.

Khalid Very good book. :) I hope you're reading it before watching the movie. :)

message 2: by Mashael (last edited Nov 20, 2008 04:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mashael Alamri
*I want say something when i were change anythings in this story it will be the fate of her sister :(

I like Memories of geisha but I'll read it in English next time :)

message 3: by Anoud (last edited Nov 20, 2008 12:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anoud really !! why did u choose changing her sister's fate specifically ?
she is almost inconsiderable and rarely mentioned in the whole story. Actually sometimes while i was reading, i kept forgetting her.

and u know what, it would be great if u read it in english because as i just said the author's writing-style is utterly fascinating, and i'm afraid lots of things couldn't be transleted with the same superbness.

Nicole wild I loved this book, I wish I could find ones like it. any suggestions?

Anoud ummm well, i don't read novels that much ! umm i don't know, have you read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" it's really wonderful one as well ;)

if i may ask, what did you like the most about Memoirs of a Geisha?