Jasmin's Reviews > Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe by Walter Scott

Jul 10, 2012

This is my favourite book of all time. It took me just over a month to complete it the first time back when I was in school; and I read at least a chapter every day! But I was studying for my classes too... nowadays it doesn't take me that long to get through it.

Every time I read it, it reawakens the joy of first discovery. The legend of Robin Hood is about as exciting as turning on a lightbulb when compared with the saga of Ivanhoe, which, to continue the simile, is like lighting a firework. One of those enormous gold ones which light up the sky in a shower of sparkles that keep fizzling for a long time after the initial bang.

Meaning this book is brilliant from the first page, and the story stays with you for a long time after you complete the finale chapter. Epic chivalry at it's greatest; when men were MEN, and wielded swords and battle axes, and women were WOMEN, demure and beautiful with an inner core of steel. It has everything a book needs; war, vengeance, a rich/poor divide, disenfranchised peoples, romance, religious issues, honour and true courage in the face of despair. What more could you ask for?
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ivanhoe.

02/06 marked as: read