Jamie's Reviews > The Written

Oct 20, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, ebook, 2012, own
Read in July, 2012

I have to agree with other reviewers - the book has both strong and weak points.

Aside from the various grammatical errors throughout the book, at the beginning the story itself was too much like a straight up D&D campaign. Thankfully, as the story progresses, the author does start to move the story in a more original direction.

The use of tattoos as the source of power was done very well. There were a lot of typical fantasy elements thrown in here, but they work well. The dream sequences were particularly good, especially the use of the cat.

Another thing the author does very well is world-building and setting the scene. I could picture the places in my mind very clearly. Lots of good description (though this may slow the story down too much for some readers).

Also - it was refreshing to have a hero with a very real personal problem, one not often seen in fantasy novels - particularly not with main characters.

A somewhat serious issue, though, (this was mentioned by another reviewer either here or on Amazon) was that I had a hard time coming to a complete understanding of who Farden is as a person. He's still a bit amorphous in my mind. Or, maybe the problem was that I sometimes didn't know why he did some of the things he did.

Another issue - the villain is fairly easy to hone in on by about half-way through.

All in all, I'll likely give the second book a go. The ending pretty much made sure of that (it's not a cliffhanger! but the final scene was especially good/intriguing.) More of a 3 and 1/2 stars than just a three.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Written.