Kristy Buzbee's Reviews > Hot Gimmick

F_50x66
Oct 29, 08

bookshelves: graphic-novel, romance
Read in October, 2008

This one's been talked about a lot, so I gave it a try. It's rated "older teen" because of some adult matters (like her younger sister needing her to buy a pregnancy test for her), but that's not really my issue here. It developed almost immediately into the standard love-triangle "who will she choose??" storyline, which can still be quite entertaining even though it's so frequently used. But in vol. 1, I got the idea of who she was going to end up with, and didn't like it.

Basically, guy tries to rape you? He is out of the running FOREVER. THE END. I will NOT eventually fall in love with him. I will NOT ever forgive him and think "he will make a good boyfriend for her!!" Not only was she starting to like him near the end of the FIRST volume (!!!) but I got the feeling that he might be the end choice. I went through and read the summaries of future volumes and now I'm fairly certain. The other reviews I saw of the entire series were also poor; people who enjoyed it at first, thinking she'd end up with nice-guy Azusa, then apparently all three guys who fight over Hatsumi turn into monsters who try to ruin her life because they're jealous of the other two and she's a doormat and lets them walk all over her. Not recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hot Gimmick.