Chana's Reviews > Shooting the Boh: A Woman's Voyage Down the Wildest River in Borneo

Shooting the Boh by Tracy Johnston

Nov 20, 2012

bookshelves: environmental, memoirs-and-biographies, non-fiction, received-through-bookcrossing, travel-diaries, borneo
Read on July 10, 2012

I loved this book in a way; it is so interesting and out of the ordinary. What we have here is a group of adventurers, mostly unaware of the real circumstances of what they are getting into, who join a river rafting trip down the Boh River in Borneo. It is through the adventure company of Sobek and supposedly has been run or at least mapped before. It is billed as Class 3 white water (hahahahaha). Supposed to be a 3 day trip (a 3 hour tour, a 3 hour tour). Yes, it is a bit Gilligan Islandish, only with a lot more bugs and foot rot and impassable waterfalls. They are bedeviled by bees, sucked on by leeches, and covered by ants. They sleep on rocks in the rain, they get terrible foot rot, everything is mildewed. And of course they have near drowning experiences. It is also hot as h*ll because it is the rain forest.
A great thing about this book is that she includes excerpts from earlier travelers to Borneo. They are fascinating. And I haven't even mentioned the natives yet; these are the people who were headhunting until, like the 1940's.
I'm so very very very glad that I was not on this trip, but it was great reading about it.
Only thing I didn't like is the author's discussion about menopause and getting older. Ho Hum.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shooting the Boh.