John's Reviews > Consider the Lobster and Other Essays

Consider the Lobster and Other Essays by David Foster Wallace

Nov 13, 08

Read in November, 2008

This was great, although some essays were more interesting than others. He gets so into his footnotes, and after a while it becomes really hard to maintain concentration on the primary thrust of the essay, because you get so bogged down in the little detailed footnotes. (if you are like me. I have to read footnotes for some reason, I can't skip them. it bugs me if I'm not reading everything on the page)
"up simba" was probably the best piece, and most interesting now, because it's about McCain's presidential run in 2000, and it was pretty relevant to what has been going on in this election. "consider the lobster" is pretty good too. "big red son" was terrific. "host" would be better with about half the footnotes cut away, but still, pretty good. ditto for the "usage" essay. And the review of the updike book is great too, loved that one. If you are not a completist, and you can (unlike me) pick up a book of essays and just not read the ones that look boring, then I highly recommend this book. Otherwise, you'll have to slog through a couple of pieces but the good ones will probably make it worthwhile.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Consider the Lobster and Other Essays.