Kristen's Reviews > Kisses from Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption

Kisses from Katie by Katie J. Davis

Jul 10, 2012

When I picked this up at the library, I had honestly never heard of the book or its author. I had my daughter, Katie with me at the time and picked it up to show her the title. As I glanced at the cover, I thought that it sounded mildly interesting. I took it home, read the other books from that trip, then ran out of time. The book was due and it was time for another trip to the library. Honestly, I really wasn't in the mood to read it. But as a last minute decision, I held on to the book. And I read it. And it was awesome. Katie Davis is an inspiration! After high school, this 18-year old girl decided to head off to Uganda to serve a one-year humanitarian mission at an orphanage, which probably isn't that unusual. What is unusual is that she chose to stay in Uganda. Forever. By herself. And then she adopted 14 girls, started a Christian ministry including a school, a mobile medical unit, and in-home rehab for acute cases. She also started a women's beading group that makes necklaces in order to help provide for their families. At the ripe old age of 22, Katie is living life a la Mother Teresa and Greg Mortensen. I fell hard for her honesty, humility, and her lively, indominable spirit, which dances freely on each page. Katie is a devout Catholic. I am a devout Mormon (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints). Though our churches' doctrines vary somewhat, I was able to bask in her intimate relationship with the Savior and her commitment to answer God's calls, no matter what. Her deliberate discipleship resonated with me and caused me to examine my own life in a touching way. I am so happy that I was moved to give this book a try. Katie, thank you!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kisses from Katie.