Laura the Highland Hussy's Reviews > Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed

2043222
Oct 02, 12

Read from July 17 to 26, 2012

Review posted at Demon Lover's Books & More

This is a tortured hero story at its best. He is scarred, both inside and out, and Sidonie proves to both of him that he’s not quite the beast he thinks he is. This was a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, and I found it to be just wonderful.

Sidonie arrives at Castle Craven in her sister’s place, to honor a bargain made with a man with no honor. From all her sister has told her, she will be facing the devil himself. From all her sister’s husband has ranted and raved, he looks like the devil as well.

Jonas was born to privilege, and he was titled, until someone dragged his mother’s name through the gutters and proved that his Spanish mother was never wed to his father. His bastard status lost the entailment, going to his cousin, who lorded it over him at every chance he got. But Jonas got to keep the money, only the title went to his cousin. Jonas made it his mission in life to become richer than anyone. But his scarred face didn’t cover a heart of gold. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Sidonie’s sister gambles well above her means, and she owes Jonas a huge amount of money. In exchange for not telling her abusive husband (his cousin), she agrees to 7 nights in his bed-The ultimate revenge in Jonas’ book. Sidonie and Roberta realize her husband will literally kill her if he finds out, so Sidonie goes in Roberta’s place. Her virginity to excuse Roberta’s gambling debts.

The gothic feel and crumbling castle mirror the hero’s black heart and yet...is he really such a beast? Oh he plays it well, but he isn’t the devil he was painted. Don't get me wrong Jonas is no saint, but he and Sidonie strike a new bargain. He plans to seduce her in those 7 days, and if he fails she leaves, virtue intact.

The romance was lovely, and the writing was beautiful. But Sidonie is hiding something. Something big. Jonas asks her to stay with him, to marry him, but she says she needs time. Everything changes once she returns home and Jonas is arrested for murder. Sidonie has proof to free him, but it means the fragile trust he had in her will be broken.

The last quarter of the book is heartbreaking. I was so frustrated with the characters, but they needed to work it out in their own time. And I loved how Beauty took her future with both hands and wouldn’t let go, no matter how beastly her Beast was.

***ARC courtesy of Netgalley and Forever Romance
16 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed.

07/17/2012 page 43
11.0% "Hmm...what secret does she know?"
07/18/2012 page 50
13.0% ""She blushed. How had such a gorgeous creature lived 24 years without becoming inured to compliments? She'd leave Castle Craven knowing how spectacular she was."
And Jonas has won my heart." 2 comments
07/23/2012 page 83
22.0% "I love how she is able to look past his sardonic words and see what he's really like."
07/25/2012 page 175
46.0% ""Sidonie..." No other woman struck him dumb. Blast her, she did it all the time without trying."

message 1: by Eastofoz (new) - added it

Eastofoz Laura is it different from her Avon published books? I find when most historical authors leave Avon their stuff isn't that good.

Laura the Highland Hussy I don't know if I've read her before, but this is through Grand Central, who I've found puts out pretty good material (Firelight for example).

I guess my short answer is that I'm not sure? (not very helpful, am I? lol)

Lady Heather Great review, Laura!

Shauni Wonderful review Laura.. I wholeheartedly agree with all you say. The wonderful Beauty and the Beast feel was fabulous

Laura the Highland Hussy Shauni wrote: "Wonderful review Laura.. I wholeheartedly agree with all you say. The wonderful Beauty and the Beast feel was fabulous"

Thanks Shauni :)

Laura the Highland Hussy Lady Heather wrote: "Great review, Laura!"

thanks Lady H!

Alicia Burns I love your review! I want to read this soon, especially because of the fairy tale-ish element! Oh and I always enjoy it when the love story is never easy for the lovers, and then against all odds, they surmount the difficulties, it makes the happy ending more precious, don't you think?

Laura the Highland Hussy Alicia wrote: "I love your review! I want to read this soon, especially because of the fairy tale-ish element! Oh and I always enjoy it when the love story is never easy for the lovers, and then against all odds,..."

Thanks, Alicia! I absolutely agree with you, and this is one of the best Beauty & the Beast re-tellings out there. Hope you enjoy it!

message 9: by Dee (new) - added it