Leigh Collazo's Reviews > Matthew Meets the Man

4141951
Jul 11, 12

bookshelves: pub-date-2012, read-in-2012, texas-authors
Read from July 10 to 11, 2012

More reviews at Mrs. ReaderPants.

REVIEW: Meh. I am sure there are plenty of middle school boys who will love this book, but for me, it is slow-paced with dull characters and not enough action or conflict. I honestly didn't care whether Matthew got his drums, though I did enjoy reading about Matthew's creative solutions. I don't think it is a terrible book, but it isn't anything to rave about, either. Matthew Meets the Man lacks the charm of Kinney's Wimpy Kid and Angleberger's Origami Yoda series; though it is supposed to be funny, I didn't laugh or chuckle or even smile when I read scenes that were clearly supposed to be funny.

That said, I do hope author Travis Nichols keeps at it. Books with this conversational illustrated-diary format are incredibly hot right now, and I really wish there were more books like this for middle school readers. I snatch them up for the library whenever I find new ones.

THE BOTTOM LINE: The illustrated diary format will make this one popular, especially with reluctant readers, but that does not make it interesting or well-written.

STATUS IN MY LIBRARY: Oh, I'll get it. There are better choices out there, but my students love this format and probably won't care that it isn't the best of its genre.

READALIKES: Diary of A Wimpy Kid series (Kinney); Origami Yoda series (Angleberger)

RATING BREAKDOWN:

Overall: 2/5
Creativity: 2/5
Characters: 1/5
Engrossing: 2/5
Writing: 3/5
Appeal to teens: 5/5
Appropriate length to tell the story: 5/5

CONTENT:

Language: mild--"ass", "flippin", "hell"
Sexuality: mild--some off-page "making out"
Violence: none
Drugs/Alcohol: none

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matthew Meets the Man.