Kjersti's Reviews > The Prince

The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli

Aug 25, 12

Read from July 15 to August 25, 2012

As sad as this is to admit, I originally was interested in this book because the Danish TV series 'Borgen', about life in Danish politics, has used bite-sized quotes in introducing each episode. I always had very negative connotations to Machiavelli, as I'm guessing most people do today, but as I was studying politics at the time they interested me. Anyway - to my limited mind, this book was a very good analysis of the world of power, without making any pretense of feeling, sentimentality, or even morality. Such a refreshing read, in a world where every strategic move is veiled behind a thin excuse of "it's for the betterment of the people". We want to believe that politicians we've voted into office are after our own interest, and refuse to see power for what it is. Either way, a solid read, that has really solidified my disdain for the world of power.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prince.

07/22/2012 page 70
08/02/2012 page 120
86.0% "I like this one for the same reason I like Nietzsche: Machiavelli sees the world of power as it is, without the sugar coat of moral structures, kindness, or even beauty. Very good little book."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott (new) - added it

Scott Good choice, as long as you keep in mind Machiavelli's political theories were a little more complex and that this wasn't his final treatise, which is important to keep in mind when he starts advocating genocide (essentially). ;)

Kjersti Thanks! That's actually a great warning. Will do ;)

message 3: by Scott (new) - added it

Scott A fair review. I remember when I had to write an essay on this and Aristotle's Politics (Politike), albeit I was kind of an amateur back then (i.e. freshman). What's weird is this was probably the first treatise to separate ethics and politics, and is probably one among many of the reasons it got on the banned books list for a while. But I think politicians like Obama and Romney pretty much show Machiavelli was right (Nixon actually based his pres. on this book), as well as the rapid changes in public opinion in the US(remember how he expressed the citizen as inert and fickle). So, well worth reading and having on your shelf, probably next to the communist manifesto and Mein Kampf and Mao's LRB(that's a bit facetious btw, but I'm sure you get my meaning). :) :D