Sarah's Reviews > The BFG

The BFG by Roald Dahl

Jul 10, 12

Recommended for: children around 8 years old
I own a copy, read count: 2

Roald Dahl's The BFG was the first book I read as a child and I absolutely loved it! This is the book which started my passion for reading and I am pleased to say it does not disapoint the second time around.
The BFG tells the story of the big friendly giant who prefers to be friends with 'human beans' rather than eat them, as his fellow giants do. He spends his time creating dreams which he keeps in bottles and every evening he travels the land distributing the dreams to children while they sleep. One night everything changes for the BFG when a young girl (who should be asleep) watches what the BFG is doing, and he has no choice but to take her away with him...
I think what appeals the most about Roald Dahl's books is the comedy. I remember as a child finding the way the BFG spoke and got his words all mixed up to be particularly amusing.
This book is best enjoyed if read aloud to a class as emphasis can be put on the funny words such as 'whizzpopper'; and some of the many things which the BFG gets confused about such as 'you is getting nosier than a parker' can be discussed.
I think this book can be enjoyed by children of all ages, but 6 to 10 year olds would probably get the most enjoyment out of it.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The BFG.