Grace's Reviews > Tuck Everlasting

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

F 50x66
Jul 09, 2012

Read in March, 2012

Life is a cycle, like a wheel. It goes round and round, and often we don't notice it's need or support to revolve in such steady rhythm, from birth to death, all things follow along this wheel. That is, we don't notice until we fall off. This is what has happened to the Tuck family as they are now living forever, stuck in the moment they drunk from a spring within a woods. They now live as they were that moment, Tuck, Mae, Miles, and Jesse, middle aged parents, young adult sons, forever. And they live as they must, finding ways to live day by day. Until one day they come upon Winne, 10 year old young girl, who is still in the wheel, who is a "real, honest-to-goodness natural child!" (as Tuck describes her). Yet since Winnie has discovered the secret of the spring, she must know understand that she can not tell anyone as this would tempt others to fall off the wheel and it would not be until they have fallen off and can not get back on do they realize - "when it's too late." Winnie now has to decide for herself, both whether she will tell anyone, and whether she too, will drink from the water.

The book was so adorable and magical it brought me back to the times in which "all dreams come true" with the humble Mr. Tuck and his family. Yet embedded in the magicalness of the book it teaches an important lesson upon what life is about and how we can miss the point of life constantly seeking something we think is better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tuck Everlasting.