Jasmine Ko's Reviews > A Gift for My Sister: A Novel

A Gift for My Sister by Ann Pearlman

Oct 01, 12

bookshelves: received-from-publisher
Read on July 04, 2012

I'm a sucker for books about sisterhood. Maybe it's because I have a younger sister of my own and I personally understand how unique our relationship can be. Even though I enjoyed reading A Gift for My Sister, it left me with a sad, sinking feeling that I couldn't seem to shake away all day after I finished the book.

I really enjoyed Pearlman's writing. She has an exceptional way of adding depth to her characters through flashbacks that are seamlessly embedded within the story in a way that builds upon a character without taking away from keeping track of the present. Tara and Sky are deeply flawed and so blinded to truth and reality because their perceptions of each other are muddled by past hurts, loss, rejection and self-preservation at the cost of never truly accepting the other for who they are.

This story took me way too far down with all the tragedies and didn't pick me back up in time. It really pushed the limit of how much sadness I could take in one book, for ONE character. Maybe because Tara has a 2-year old and so do I, I felt too much for her character and the loss in her life. I kept waiting for the story to turn, but I guess since the story takes place over such a short period of time, it might not be very realistic for the sisters to change so quickly. The turn came too late for me and didn't quite uplift me the way I was hoping it would.

However, Pearlman's writing was very engaging, so I am looking forward to reading some of her other books.

For more reviews from the bookish mama, please click here.
2 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Gift for My Sister.

message 1: by Marie (new) - added it

Marie Thank you for the book, I appreciate it!

Jasmine Ko Marie wrote: "Thank you for the book, I appreciate it!"

You're welcome! Sorry it took so long!