Brandi's Reviews > The Awakening and The Struggle

The Awakening and The Struggle by L.J. Smith

F_50x66
Jul 09, 12

***SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVEN’T WATCHED THE SEASON 3 FINALE OF THE TV SERIES***

The Vampire Diaries is one of my favorite shows right now (well, one of many!) and with the completion of Season 3, I thought what better way to get my TVD fix than to read the books? WRONG ANSWER! The books are nothing like the show. Not even the characters are the same…there are a few, but there are many different characters in the books. For example, Elena lives with her Aunt Judith (Jenna in the show) and 4 year old sister Margaret (15 year old brother Jeremy in the show). There are a lot of name changes: Matt Honeycutt (Donovan), Bonnie McCollough (Bennett), Meredeth Sulez (doesn’t even exist in the show), & Katherine Von Swarzschild (Petrova). It took 3 whole seasons and over a school year before Elena turned into a vampire, but in the books, by the end of book 2…Vampire! So far there are no Originals and no other vampires aside from Stefan and Damon. There’s no secret council. There’s no epic love triangle. Caroline’s a complete bitch in the book (she’s my FAVORITE character in the show!). I don’t feel the same attachment to this Stefan Salvatore as I do with the television character. There are just too many differences for my liking. I like the story arc of the television show better than the book. I like the depth of the characters, the constant action and turmoil, and variety that the show offers. The book may be a good read for teens, if you can separate yourself from the show and look at this as a story independent of the show. I do realize that perhaps some of my complaints above may be addressed in subsequent books, but my attention isn’t piqued enough to care to find out. I don’t think that I will continue the series, unless I get really really bored someday and enough time has passed that my disappointment has diminished and I forget how much I loathed the differences between the show and the books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening and The Struggle.