Isadora's Reviews > Fly on the Wall: How One Girl Saw Everything

Jul 09, 2012

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in July, 2012

Review: Fly On The Wall
The premise of the book is interesting: a girl who is very curious to have a better understanding of the male psyche somehow gets her wish in a Kafkaesque manner: she turns into a fly, trapped in the boys' locker room. E. Lockhart is a great writer (funny, too!), she has the ability that I prize most in writing: her dialogue never comes out hokey, I am never, even for a second, removed from the atmosphere of the book because something didn't ring true, in a "I have never heard someone speak like that" way*.
I do have one criticism though, which is that the main character is rarely reacting to the people around her, usually just watching, which left me wanting to know more about her actual relationships with these other characters. This may seem like an unfair criticism. You may be asking yourself "the plot premise is basically a girl stuck in a position where all she can do is watch, for crying out loud, what were you expecting?". And while that is true, I think the third part of the book should be longer. In the first part, she is supposed to be aloof, even though she could be reacting, she's not; in the second, she is physically stuck in her "audience" role, and by watching these boys, she wishes she were more proactive; in the third, she acts on what she's learned. So I guess I wanted more of part three, I wanted to know more about Titus as he is with Gretchen, and not only as a subject of observation.
That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed the book, it felt like a very real glimpse of the boys' locker room, and the journey of the charming narrator is fulfilling. Recommended!

*That is not completely true: the fact that all characters referred to penises as "gherkins" sounded very fake to my ears, and the same applies to breasts as "biscuits". Apart from that, she's great!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fly on the Wall.