Xyra's Reviews > Gidget

Gidget by Frederick Kohner

Jul 12, 12

Recommended for: Readers who love the ocean, surfing, and historical fiction
Read from July 09 to 12, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I have been a Gidget fan for years and only now found out there was a book based on a real person's experiences to start it all. Now I am a bigger fan!
This is one of the very few books where I read the Introduction and Forward...usually if it is by another person (not the author) and not part of the story I skip this as I have found most to be dry literary criticisms. In this case, the intro was by the real Gidget, so I just had to read it! Boy, did I ever. And it was wonderful to hear the woman discuss her younger self.
The book's author is the father of the subject and he completely captured the stream of consciousness of a teen mind as well as the speech patterns...a great student he was. The pages flew by and I am saddened that I am now finished.
While I was shocked by some of the language coming out of the mouth of a 15 year-old girl in the 50s it didn't phase me one bit. That was what she was used to hearing from The Crew. The fact that she had the strength to join The Crew and tackle surfing is inspiring. She was quite the actress too, trying all those lies out...but she got caught in every single one and paid the price. I'm not completely sure she learned a lesson from getting caught though as she would do it again.
This was a fabulous glimpse of the early surfing culture.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gidget.

07/10/2012 page 15