Michael's Reviews > Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 2

Avatar by Gene Luen Yang

Jul 09, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read on July 09, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 2

I am really enjoying the adventures of Aang and his friends after the show. Book 2 was definitely better than book 1, but that is to be expected as the artists and the writer get used to the characters. This book primarily focused on Toph and Sokka. Gene Yang did a good job of showing the camaraderie of the two characters (starts off strong on page 1 and holds until the end).

Aang and Katara are sickeningly sweet together. The part that featured the Aang Fan Club was touching.

The parts with Zuko were expected, especially from the last volume. I wish more time was spent with Zuko and Ozai. Zuko's mother was only mentioned once, which bothers me. Wasn't Zuko really distraught about this in the last volume? (view spoiler)

Story aside, the art was fantastic. I love the choice of using the team of GiruHiru. Their art style is a perfect fit for The Last Airbender.

(Fair warning to those who buy the volume. It has been read twice so far and I noticed the ink on the pages was wearing away. Normally Dark Horse is tops for quality, but lately that hasn't been the case. I would assume that the "eco-paper" that is being used is causing the pigment to wear away on hands and between pages.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Avatar.