Liz's Reviews > Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

Jul 09, 12

bookshelves: memoir, non-fiction
Read in July, 2012

I really only wanted to read this book because a friend (a former ultra runner) of mine is mentioned. Thought it would be cool to read her name in print. But that didn't happen till well into the book and by then I was hooked. I also read a recent article in the New York Times about one of the main characters, Caballo Blanco, and wanted to learn more about him.

I loved how the story wasn't about how many miles these guys were running but more about WHY they ran and better ways to improve those runs (barefoot running or almost barefoot running). It was fascinating and backed by mentions of real scientific studies. Made you want to go out and buy yourself a pair of Vibram Fivefingers right away.

McDougall writes about how we are all Running People and our health issues are all related to the fact that we don't run anymore like we HAD to. Thought this was very insightful and he backs is all up with credible data and studies.

Overall, I loved this book and really felt connected to many of the characters towards the end.

I would recommend.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born to Run.