Kirsten's Reviews > Blood, Bones, and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef

Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton

Jul 10, 12

Read in May, 2012

I found this book interesting in the beginning because the author talks about how tough her life was growing up and how she played the cards she was given - her parents divorcing and basically abondoning her, her trying to get a job when she was really young, her adventures working as a cocktail waitress in NY, the catering business and her working at the summer camp. It makes her sound really tough, however, she also had the chance at some excellent education which she basically didn't take advantage of at all. I liked her descriptions of the MFA program in Michigan though, she is a really down-to-earth character and I liked how she blasted the pretentiousness of that program. But, I also thought it was really, really lame of her to dump her girlfriend who stuck with her, moved with her to NY, and stayed with her even though she worked ridiculous hours. I don't like her fake marriage, and I don't like her pretentious blablabla about how wonderful Tuscany is. Not everybody gets to travel, and not everybody gets to live in a fabulous Italian villa for a green-card marriage. It's like she got that reward by cheating. Yes, Tuscany is beautiful, and the food is delicious there, but a lot of people who live there are poor, and I just can't stand the pretentious gushing of Americans who travel there. I felt especially let down by her because she seemed to be a cool and down-to-earth, streetwise woman at first. Also, for all the toughness she purports to possess, she surely could try to have a little bit better relationship with her mother.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood, Bones, and Butter.