Margaret's Reviews > Lost in the Labyrinth

Lost in the Labyrinth by Patrice Kindl

Jun 02, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: children-s-and-ya-fiction, fantasy-and-science-fiction, greeks, mythology-and-fairy-tales, authors-kl
Read in October, 2008 , read count: 1

Princess Xenodice belongs to the royal family of Crete. Her parents are King Minos and Queen Pasiphae, her older sister is Ariadne, and her younger brother Asterius, half-man and half-bull, lives in the center of the Labyrinth, where Xenodice visits him often. She also loves to visit the inventor Daedalus and his dreamy son Icarus, whom she loves. When the Athenian Theseus arrives as part of that year's tribute, Ariadne falls in love with him, and Xenodice must figure out how to navigate the maze of loyalties and protect her family.

My big cavil is that I found the tone too distant. Since it's in the first person, I wanted gentle Xenodice to show more emotion at times when shattering things are happening to her and her family. Still, Kindl does a lovely job weaving together myth, history, and archaeological discoveries to produce a convincing version of Cretan society. I particularly liked how she believably makes it matriarchal, with Pasiphae the real ruler, and how she turns on its head the usual Theseus as hero vs. the Minotaur as savage beast conception.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost in the Labyrinth.