Ronda's Reviews > The Cold Dish

The Cold Dish by Craig Johnson

I was led to this book by the tv series, and this is one of the cases where I can honestly say that I like both the tv adaptation and the book equally. There are differences between the two--but they work. Whoever did the casting did an amazing job, despite the differences. I did have some trouble occasionally with flashbacks--not sure how much of that was because I was going too fast and had to skid to backtrack and catch up. That said, after reading this book, I love the series even more. Dry snarky wit, excellent literary references, characters that leap off the pages, and a backdrop painted in figurative language that pops. Am looking forward to revisiting Absaroka-in print and onscreen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cold Dish.

Quotes Ronda Liked

Craig Johnson
“I think there was an awful lot about him that I thought I knew, but the truth was I was just coloring in the missing parts with colors I liked.”
Craig Johnson, The Cold Dish

Craig Johnson
“Small chains wound their way through the trigger guards with little bronze locks at the end of each row. It was like a chain gang for weapons. Some of them might be good, some of them might be bad, but there was no way to tell until somebody picked them up.”
Craig Johnson, The Cold Dish