Jacki Potratz's Reviews > The Hour I First Believed

1019257
Dec 06, 08

bookshelves: 2008
Read in December, 2008

Because I loved reading She's Come Undone and I Know This Much is True I've been anxiously awaiting Lamb's new book since I read a review in July.The Hour I First Believed is partly about the Columbine shootings, but also much more. Real people from Columbine are intertwined with fictional characters which makes the reading interesting.

At first I thought I wasn’t ready to read about the shootings; it seemed like not enough time had passed, but I’m glad I stuck with it because the journey of Caelum and Maureen Quirk is astounding. Maureen witnesses the shootings first-hand and suffers from post traumatic stress disorder. While reviewing the history of their families they discover so much about themselves and others. Few authors are capable of weaving so much together so seamlessly.

That said, it’s 700 some pages, and while I could have done without areas describing work on Caelum’s doctoral thesis, this was worth every moment.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hour I First Believed.