Lucy's Reviews > The Bone House

10819339
Jul 10, 2012

liked it
Read from July 09 to 10, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Started a bit slow, but it picked up nicely. Story about a pair of married teachers Mark & Hilary Bradley who leave Chicago for a slower pace in a tight knit community of Door County Wisconsin. Mark is accused of having an affair with a student (who denies it ever happened) and he is fired. Three years later the students younger sister is found dead in Florida at a dance competition where Hilary was a former coach. Mark & Hilary were there on vacation to watch the competition so of course Mark becomes the prime suspect. When lead detective Cab Bolton travels to their town he digs around and finds others to look at. The closed community only have their eyes on Mark, and consider his attractive intelligent wife a fool for standing by him.

The characters were decent. Hilary I liked but felt she was so trusting of her husband despite everything pointing in his direction. They had only been together five years. She was right to trust him though, in the end he was innocent, but still.. I'd have questioned him a bit more, lol.

Mark was a bit of a fool for placing himself in situations that could be misconstrued.

Cab was the stereotypical damaged by a woman in his past super intelligent good detective.

I guessed who the killer(s) were about 250 pages in, yet there were still a few surprises thrown in so that it wasn't a complete waste of time. Overall I enjoyed it and will be checking out some more Brian Freeman books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bone House.

07/10/2012 page 72
07/10/2012 page 242
69.0% "Started a bit slow, totally into it at this point."
show 1 hidden update…