Michelle/ The True Book Addict's Reviews > Twenty-Two Faces

Twenty-Two Faces by Judy Byington

Mar 03, 13

bookshelves: book-tour-books, for-review, non-fiction, owned, read-in-2012
Read in July, 2012

To say that this book was a difficult read would be putting it mildly. When I was offered a spot on the tour, after I read the synopsis, it reminded me of another multiple personality book I read years ago called "Sybil" by Flora Rheta Schreiber. The only thing similar about the two books is that both women were abused at a young age and both developed multiple personalities to cope and protect themselves from the abuse. Not to discount the trauma that Sybil suffered, I have to say that the abuse Jenny Hill was subjected to was far, far worse.

I know it really shouldn't shock me that things like this occur, and have occurred, in our society for years, but I'm still in a state of disbelief that anyone, including a child's own father, could sexually abuse a child beginning at infancy. What comes into the equation in Jenny's story is something called Satanic Ritual Abuse. Of course, we've all heard stories and accounts of the practice in the news and such, but it always seems like a horror movie. Not real. Unfortunately, it is real, or was. The level of abuse--emotional, sexual, physical--that Jenny was subjected to was horrific. Not only the horrendous abuse, but also the witnessing of the murders of animals and another child. It's a miracle that Jenny survived.

As I said, an extremely difficult read. I found myself in tears many times as I was reading. But this is an important read because we need to be aware that things like this go on in our world. It reminds us to be aware and watchful of children who may be showing signs that something is wrong. Don't just overlook it. It's also a cautionary tale for parents. Know what your children are doing and where they are going. Of course, back in the 60s, parents weren't as careful or aware of what could happen to young children, but it's still hard to believe that Jenny's mother did not think it was strange that her six year old daughter was gone all the time or that she returned home looking ravaged. That her mother was indifferent and mean to her daughter is just another layer of abuse that Jenny suffered, not to mention that she probably knew that her husband was sexually abusing Jenny, but instead of reacting and taking action, she only expressed jealousy.

Ultimately, "Twenty Two Faces" is a story of survival. Jenny did survive and went on to live a somewhat "normal" life, if it's possible after what she went through. She lived to tell her story and by doing so, she may just succeed in helping others and perhaps preventing abuse like this happening to others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twenty-Two Faces.

07/23/2012 page 59
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kerry Connelly woah....sexually abused since infancy? murder of animals and children? far out. i have just ordered 'Sybil" and am looking forward to reading it. i have just finnished "the Flock" which is amazing! (just put up my review) i enjoy reading about the struggles and escape of people with amazing courage in extreme circumstances and am often slightly annoyed when they 'leave out' certain events in their story (but elude to the fact something happened that thed rather not say) This book however from your review sounds sickening, id love to read it but is it really a hard read?

Michelle/ The True Book Addict Kerry Louise wrote: "woah....sexually abused since infancy? murder of animals and children? far out. i have just ordered 'Sybil" and am looking forward to reading it. i have just finnished "the Flock" which is amazing!..."

Yes, it was hard at times because the things that happen to her are just so terrible, but I think it's important to read difficult things so that we can be aware of what goes on and be better informed. Does that make sense?

Kerry Connelly yes absolutely it does makes sence. as i prefer books with details, however when i read that i was astounded as i havent heard a story quite like that.
who's pov is it written from?

Michelle/ The True Book Addict From hers...Jenny, the one it happened to.

Kerry Connelly i'll give it a read. ill order it this week. would love to discuss it once i have read it

Michelle/ The True Book Addict Kerry Louise wrote: "i'll give it a read. ill order it this week. would love to discuss it once i have read it"

Sure...I'll look forward to your thoughts.

Kerry Connelly have just ordered the book. wonderful review michelle. have u gone to 22faces.com

Michelle/ The True Book Addict Great! I can't remember if I visited the site or not. Is it worth checking out?

Kerry Connelly Michelle/ wrote: "Great! I can't remember if I visited the site or not. Is it worth checking out?"

yes I think so. I had a look because it is official (jenny's site and her letters etc up on there) I haven't read the book yet but wanted to check out the site to see if I could handle the book. it has segments from Dr.Phil and her personalities come through (one was called JJ) and she just wrote a letter this yr 2013 which is on there stating her feelings toward the author and dr.phil and other things as aparantly there was some controversy as to the financial rights or something over the book. if you loved the book- yes check it out

Kerry Connelly did u look at the website michelle? my copy should be here this week along with the copies of my own book.

message 11: by Talyn (new) - added it

Talyn Satanic Ritual abuse is NOT real. It never was. It was just hype in the 90s. It was a witch hunt to point the fingers at supposedly sexually abusive parents, and it really just ended up tearing innocent families apart.