Rebecca's Reviews > The Maid

The Maid by Kimberly Cutter

F 50x66
Jul 09, 2012

liked it

I liked this book. I really just knew the basics of her life, saw visions, saved France, burned at the stake. The usual. This book takes on the details or what the details may have been. All the events are true, the battles, the people and eventually her being canonized as a saint.

The author fills in the empty spaces by imagining what the conversations were, what the visions were like etc. I did have issues, I think it was the language. Also how the author depicted Joan's struggles to be believed, which went on and on. We get it,
15th century, seeing visions, a woman, not a good combination.

But the author did do a good job of depicting Joan as a woman. Joan of Arc was not just a saint, she had to go against 15th century beliefs about women in general and lead men in battle. she truly was a trail blazer. It just took 500 years for the rest of the world to catch up. It also shows Joan as a pawn, she became powerful in her own right which was ultimately her downfall. It captures her sense of betrayal (basically the King handed her over to the English)
and her acceptance of her impending death.

So in summary, a good book with some flaws.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maid.