Sarah's Reviews > Going Postal

Going Postal by Terry Pratchett

Aug 14, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, discworld
Read in August, 2011 , read count: 3

What happens when Ventari becomes an angel and puts a con man in charge of the decrepit Post Office? Nothing one expects, of course.
--------------------------------------------

There was a silence. In that silence, Moist tried out a variety of responses, from "Pull the other one, it's got bells on" to "That's impossible", and decided they all sounded stupid. Groat looked deadly serious, so instead he said: "How?"
----------------------------------------------

There are many, many characters in the Discworld that I adore. And it is very hard to read the Discworld series without being at least fascinated by Vetinari (as evidenced by the "Vetinari for president!" stickers I often see around). But once in awhile, Pratchett likes to remind people that while Vetinari, while he has style, is, well, a dick.

"While this is happening, moreover, no person concerned with the Grand Trunk Company or any of its employees is to leave this room."
Greenyham: "You can't do that!"
Vetinari: "Can I not? I am a tyrant. It's what we do."

(If anyone else likes Vetinari, Guards, Guards is rather essential reading, since it gives the reader some pretty Important Information on how Vetinari go to where he is now.)

8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Postal.

03/31 marked as: read

message 1: by Zoe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoe Oh Vetinari. Actually, I find that his actions in Going Postal and Making Money once again show case his love for the city.

Sarah Very true.

message 3: by Zoe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoe Sammy wrote: "Very true."

And now I want a 'Vetinari for President' sticker!

Sarah Zoe wrote: "Sammy wrote: "Very true."

And now I want a 'Vetinari for President' sticker!"

oh yes.