Emily's Reviews > The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

Sep 12, 13

bookshelves: biographical-and-auto-biographical, nonfiction
Read in September, 2013

Gretchen Rubin decides riding home on the train one day that she has a wonderful life but doesn't always feel that happy about it. She wants to be happier but doesn't want to move away or start living a drastically different kind of life (do I believe for a second that a writer just happened to have this epiphany while stunt journalism is a "thing"? Um....no, but whatever).

She tackles a different aspect of her life each month with an overriding resolution and smaller goals that help her keep that resolution. She never uses that phrasing, but that is what she did.

I liked it quite a bit more than I thought I would. It made me happy to read it. And one of the hugely "aha" moments for me was when she talked about how there are things that we wish would make us happy but ultimately it's not really for us. I wish I loved photography but I never really get that much joy out of doing it. That's okay. Whatever. Along the same lines she says that what we really like are the things we find ourselves doing in our free time. I realized I like sorting things more than anything in this world. How boring! But it makes me happy. Maybe I can be a librarian when I "grow up"

She is a good writer to boot so that made it enjoyable too. Her husband kind of annoyed me but maybe that's not fair.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happiness Project.

09/12/2013 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (new)

Martha So funny...I just bought this in Boston at a used bookstore, it's my next to-read book!