Jason Koivu's Reviews > Wishful Drinking

Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher

Feb 19, 14

bookshelves: autobiography
Read from July 08 to 09, 2012

Like most boys popping wood for the first time in the late '70s and early '80s, I had a "healthy" interest in Princess Leia Carrie Fisher.

description

Later in life, whenever I've seen one of her books on the shelves, I'd think about possibly reading it, out of interest for what she might have to say regarding those iconic Star Wars movies. I even gave a little shit about what she's been up to since then. Call it a passing fancy, one that I've passed up time and again for year upon year, right up until recently when I found the audiobook version of Wishful Drinking at the library. It was free, I had it in hand and yet still I hesitated and would not have bothered with it except that it is quite short. I wish I'd put it back on the shelf.

Three hours of listening to anyone famous and privileged talking about their problems is three hours too long. Add to that Fisher's tendency to shout, as if saying it louder makes it funnier. I blame "Laugh In"-era Goldie Hawn for this.

Negatives aside, Fisher's humor is one of the book's saving graces. She's gone beyond the "woe is me" stage, attained the "let's get our skeletons out of the closet" stage, and she handles it with laughter.

However, it's a sense of humor that is as dark as the undertones and somewhat depressing subject matter of the entire book. From start to finish, nearly everything within Wishful Drinking is about her struggles with depression, mental illness and substance abuse. It's a hard-knock life. Fisher's taken her knocks and here they are all laid out for you to read. I'm not sure I would recommend it.

Rating: 2.5
32 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wishful Drinking.

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent does she mention the metal bikini from Return of the Jedi at all?

Jason Koivu Dan wrote: "does she mention the metal bikini from Return of the Jedi at all?"

But of course!...It was sad to find out though that she was already addicted to painkillers and low level stuff by then. She's led a fairly fucked up life.

message 3: by Randolph (new)

Randolph Carter You can tell in Return of the Jedi she is wigged out. They are putting way more makeup on her to make her look human than in A New Hope. Her voice has already dropped half an octave and become raspy from smoking and booze. Mark Hamill had already gone though his whole car crash and facial reconstruction and looks world weary as well, which actually may have added a touch of poignancy to Jedi. Then there were ewoks. All this together made the film a sad shadow of what the predecessors had been.

Where was this picture taken, in a morgue? What are those cabinet handles for?

message 4: by Melki (new)

Melki How did she like being married to a dwarf Paul Simon?

message 5: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro The Force is strong in this review ;)

Jason Koivu Randolph wrote: "Where was this picture taken, in a morgue? What are those cabinet handles for?..."

You know, I never even noticed the background until you mentioned it.

Jason Koivu Melki wrote: "How did she like being married to a dwarf Paul Simon?"

She doesn't go into great detail or get too specific about who drove her to drink, but from the stories I've heard I wouldn't be surprised if Simon was the cause of some of that.

Jason Koivu Alejandro wrote: "The Force is strong in this review ;)"

BEST COMMENT EVER

message 9: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro :D

message 10: by Gary (new)

Gary  the Bookworm I saw her in a theatrical version of this. I liked it but my wife had some of the same misgivings you've expressed. I also liked her first "novel" Postcards from the Edge.