Dave Miller's Reviews > Greywalker

Greywalker by Kat Richardson

Jul 09, 12

Read in July, 2012

I'm not a big urban fantasy reader, having been turned off by my experience with the progression the Anita Blake novels took, but I got my hands on the Greywalker audio book, and decided to give it a try.

I appreciated the fact that the protagonist is self-sufficient and gutsy, and enjoyed the world-building, which really does revolve around a theory of the paranormal that seems to be created from whole cloth. It's a bit fuzzy around the edges, but I'd expect it to get filled in if I decide to continue with the rest of the series. I also really appreciated that this story didn't try to go the "Paranormal bodice-ripper" route, which, having read an interview with the author, it sound like just isn't going to happen. How the one major romance was handled definitely felt realistic, but a bit heavy-handed in its handling.

I did feel that the story was a bit flat, it was sometimes difficult to get my head around some of the characters' motivations, and most of the exposition sometimes felt like filler between the action scenes. Not terrible for a first novel, but I hope to see improvement.

In particular to the audio book, the performance by Mia Barron was exceptional, and definitely gave the experience a positive bump. I'd put her in the same class of narrator as my favorite, Stefan Rudnicki.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Greywalker.