Elizabeth's Reviews > Elric Of Melnibone

Elric Of Melnibone by Michael Moorcock

9561928
Aug 02, 12

bookshelves: british, disability, english, fantasy, addiction, misogyny, rape

After reading Mists of Avalon I decided to overcome my aversion to hardcore fantasy. Flinching at the mention of dragon riding and enchanted balls was keeping me from reading a book which had been recommended to me from many quarters. So I buckled down and got the audiobook. And you know what? I really liked it. Very Tolkien-esque, with traditional adventure and battle sequences but really enjoyable to read. It reads a lot like The Hobbit, in that tell-not-show way, but that's not necessarily bad in this case. It lends the sense of legend rather than fiction to it. The book might as well start with "Shut up and listen, I'm about to tell you a story". I liked it.

I also really liked the audiobook production because not only was it read really well but there was this weird score that played continuously in the background throughout. And it went from being a really queer panpipes to a sounding like the theme tune from Knightmare, full of 80s synth, and then tailed off in places to a sort of Vangelis ambience. Which was actually really good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elric Of Melnibone.