Kaje Harper's Reviews > Special Forces - Mercenaries Part I

Special Forces - Mercenaries Part I by Aleksandr Voinov

Jul 10, 12

bookshelves: bdsm, favorites, intense, m-m
Read from July 09 to 10, 2012

They say that every man can be broken, and when the strongest man breaks, he shatters. That's what happens to Vadim, two years after the KGB snatches him from Afghanistan to endure solitary confinement and torture in prison in Russia. Dan spends every ounce of his time, effort, spirit and money on getting Vadim out. But the man who walks away from Russia towards Dan is not the man he left in that hotel room. And Dan has neither the experience nor the patience to figure out who this new man is, before the force of Vadim's disintegration tears them apart.

This book manages the impossible - to be even more intense and involving than the first installment. If you don't like cheating, violence, menage, BDSM... then this one is not for you. But if you can accept all of those as part of a complex and gut-wrenching story, then prepare for something extraordinary.

Although I'm a romantic, and find this messed-up, crazy-quilt, glued-together relationship of Dan and Vadim's sometimes hard to accept, I am still drawn in by the power of it. Even when they hate each other, even when they hurt each other to the core, there is that bedrock between them that says "I would raze the whole world to scorched earth to keep you safe... from everyone but me." Even when they open the relationship sexually, the emotional focus is pure and brilliant between these two men. They are building something magnificent, and if it happens interspersed with knives and errors, misunderstandings and sex with friends, still what is emerging keeps me glued to the page in anticipation. Highly recommended. (And the donation that will have to be made to the Red Cross to match the value of this series keeps climbing. I'm very glad to have been given that outlet to thank these authors for this amazing work.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Special Forces - Mercenaries Part I.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Carey OK, I can't wait any longer. As soon as I wrap up the 3 books I'm reading right now...this is next! I keep putting it off because I'm a scared, but I really need to read this. The first book is one of the best books I've ever read. And even though I know there are aspects in this one I'm not going to like... I actually love how this is so far out of my comfort zone.

MLE This story contained elements that I usually do not like, but in the context of this story, and these characters it really worked for me. To me it spoke highly of the author's and the quality of their storytelling that they sucked me so deeply into something that is far from what I usually enjoy.

Kaje Harper You may have a love-hate experience with this one - there is so much going on, and sometimes it will make you want to scream at the characters, but in the context of these men and this story, it all works. Not an easy read, but I neglected a ton of things I should be doing to finish it. And to start the next one.

Carey Thats exactly it, the context of these stories works with these characters... I cant wait!

Natalie I envy you getting to read these for the first time. :) When you're done with Veterans, be sure to check out Deliverance.

message 6: by Stephanie (last edited Jul 10, 2012 08:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stephanie I envy you Carey too! SF was my first m/m read EVER and it was one hell of a ride. It took me two weeks (non-stop) to read it, staying up til the wee hours of the morning because I couldn't stop. There were times I was sobbing at my computer with my hubby asking me what's wrong. I couldn't even tell him because he wouldn't understand. It will make you cringe, scream, cry, laugh, and shout with happiness. It's simply the most amazing love story I have EVER read.

Kaje Harper Natalie wrote: "I envy you getting to read these for the first time. :) When you're done with Veterans, be sure to check out Deliverance."

I'll do that, thanks.

Carey I'm just nervous because I know it is going to make me want to do all those things :) Plus I know there is all the stuff I dont like (cheating, etc) but I ALSO know that it is going to be fantastic. My problem is I dont have uninterupted time and I know I'm not going to want to stop! But I dont care anymore, its next no matter what!!! Does anyone want to tell me at least if the series ends with a HEA...cause really that it is what I'm most nervous about. If I know its going to end well, I can handle pretty much anything :)

Stephanie Carey wrote: "I'm just nervous because I know it is going to make me want to do all those things :) Plus I know there is all the stuff I dont like (cheating, etc) but I ALSO know that it is going to be fantasti..."

Yes, it ends with a BIG HEA :)

Carey phew... then I can totally do this :)

Feliz For some reason this second part of "Soldiers" didn't hit me as hard as the first part did. It was haunting, intense, sad and comforting at the same time but for me, it still couldn't measure up to the first part...

message 12: by Kaje (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaje Harper Feliz wrote: "For some reason this second part of "Soldiers" didn't hit me as hard as the first part did. It was haunting, intense, sad and comforting at the same time but for me, it still couldn't measure up to..."

The first felt more complete, a solid arc of discovery and change. This one was more intense in places, but also pulled in more extraneous elements and moved away from the couple dynamic.

Feliz Kaje wrote: "Feliz wrote: "For some reason this second part of "Soldiers" didn't hit me as hard as the first part did. It was haunting, intense, sad and comforting at the same time but for me, it still couldn't..."

Yes, that's got to be it