J.F. Elferdink's Reviews > Gift from the Sea

Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Jul 09, 2012

I just re-read this book after a hiatus of a few years and loved it as much as ever! In the past, it gave me a vision of living a more balanced agenda every day. That's something I'm still striving for, although Lindbergh reminded me of some important ways to do that, especially by creating islands of time where "the past and the future are cut off; only the present remains. Existence in the present gives island living an extreme vividness and purity." (p. 40)

What seemed brand new was the message on relationships. Here's my new goal on how to experience life with a partner: "We have moved through our day like dancers, not needing to touch more than lightly because we were instinctively moving to the same rhythm." (p. 104) Here's more: "When the heart is flooded with love there is no room in it for fear, for doubt, for hesitation. And it is this lack of fear that makes for the dance." (p, 106)

It's amazing how much insight Lindbergh packed into 138 pages! And this depth of insight is not washed back into the sea by the waves of time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gift from the Sea.